11 September 2017, 14.00-15.00 hrs
Standing Committee Room, CR10
Houses of Parliament, Palace of Westminster, London
Sponsored by: UCL Energy Institute, University College London; Green Cross Switzerland; UK Parliamentary Renewable and Sustainable Energy Group (PRASEG); Nuclear Free Local Authorities (NFLA); and Nuclear Consulting Group (NCG).
Why? Energy is key to UK industrial and domestic economy and climate change. But our low-carbon transition is bumpy. Nuclear costs are ramping, and support for renewables and energy efficiency are being cut back. Meanwhile, leading international investment bank, Morgan Stanley, say renewables will be the cheapest source of power in the world in less than three years. And Germany, the strongest economy in Europe, has just broken green energy records by generating 35% of power from renewables in first half of 2017. So is it time for a new Energy Plan A ?
- Matthias Buck, Head of EU Energy Policy, Agora Energiewende.
- Alan Whitehead MP, Shadow Minister, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy; Energy and Climate Change.
- Caroline Lucas MP, Co-Leader of the Green Party; Member of the Parliamentary Environmental Audit Committee.
- Prof Steve Thomas, Professor of Energy Policy, University of Greenwich.
Where? Standing Committee Room CR10, Palace of Westminster, House of Commons, London.Room U, Portcullis House, Westminster, for drinks and refreshments after the meeting.Room T, Portcullis House, Westminster, for media and press interviews.
When? 11 September, 2017, 14.00 – 15.00 hrs. Just after Parliament returns from Summer Recess and just before Party Political Conferences.
- Duncan Bayliss and Dr Paul Dorfman (docx)
- Prof Keith Barnham (pdf)
- Prof Steve Thomas (pptx)
- Matthias Buck (pptx)
Dr Paul Dorfman
UCL Energy Institute